sfPORTEQ & Sustainability: An Independent Assessment
As part of our commitment to sustainability, sfPORTEQ commissioned an assessment of its products and business operations from independent consultancy Envima AB.We are pleased to share their findings, and to recognise that for sfPORTEQ, sustainability is a value, not just a box to be checked. Our sustainability action plan includes:
- Reducing CO2 emissions
- Greater energy efficiency
- Reducing consumption and waste in our manufacturing process
- Reducing transportation in our supply chain
- A business Code of Conduct, shared with our suppliers
- Human factors – making equipment safer and easier to use
Based on Envima’s assessment, we have created forward action plans to help us deliver on our sustainability objectives.
Sustainability at sfPORTEQ
We have two clear strengths. The first is measurable metrics such as lightweight and fewer parts. The second strength is our ambition; curiosity and diligence, towards always improving.
Based on obtained information from the company’s operations and business, Envima has identified significant areas of sustainability impacts; sfPORTEQ’s ongoing work as today and possible development in the future:
- Modulization of products and a high level of competence and service contribute to operational reliability and quality. It also creates conditions for a more circular economy, prolongs lifespan, and facilitates service and spare part handling for many different customer requests.
- Prioritization and ongoing development projects of operational reliability and efficiency, with less operational downtime and need for service, positively impact energy consumption, noise reduction, emissions, and material consumption in the whole infrastructure chain.
Next step: Implementation of ISO 9001 standards
- Products are build with open software approach and several projects are in process to become digitized and automate products and support the automation process in container terminals
- Internal digitalization projects for both sales and service processes to guarantee deliveries on time (resulting in quality, business, and environmental benefits)
Next step: Crucial to keep up with the overall industry’s development speed, an area that is moving fast forward.
- Making spreaders simple, user-friendly, and quiet in order to reduce operational problems that can lead to risks linked to safety, physical work environment as well as stress and mental illness
- Employees work in a close relationship, which contributes to good influence opportunities
- At the production site, equal treatment and opportunities are highly valued
Next step: sfPORTEQ will strengthen the diversity in the team and board, which also a crucial part of health and safety work.
- Focus on low product weight and less energy consumption during operation
- Choice of established and recognized suppliers that larger enterprises also are contracting to ensure a high level of quality and awareness of various sustainability issues. Mainly localized in Scandinavia or Europe for shorter transports
- The conscious choice of a production facility with modern and controlled processes in combination with responsible production processes and good transparency
Next step: sfPORTEQ will make a life cycle analysis of their products to identify which efforts that should be prioritized and reviewed as the next step from a sustainability perspective.
- Unique products, based on expertise and industry experience
- Training compiled for all partners and agents around the world
- Increasing awareness of sustainability issues in the port industry
Next step: sfPORTEQ will continue to strengthen the internal competence and awareness of sustainability and CSR issues.
- The production plant is certified according to ISO 9001, diligent work to be empowered according to ISO 14001, in four years. Products are certified according to EN1090-2 and ISO 3834
- Active work to certify the company according to ISO 9001
Next step: Implementation of ISO 9001 standards and further management standards, such as ISO 14001 and ISO 45001
- Code of Conduct (CoC) expresses its position regarding core values, business principles, anti-corruption, human rights, etc. Business partners are expected to support the Code of Conduct
Next step: sfPORTEQ will further investigate how responsible business could be strengthened through the use of agent guidelines, corruption indexes, etc
- Efficient shipments to avoid unnecessary transports
- Transportation preferably by ship directly to the current customers
- Internal meetings foremost digital, but physical meetings are still important in business meetings
Next step: Assess transportation options, choose the ones with higher volumes to decrease number of transports or/and reduce emissions